Calgary Airport to Mount Norquay - the cheapest way to get there
by ampmlimo, on Apr 14, 2021 1:47:00 PM
Headed to Mt Norquay in Banff National Park for an exhilarating ski vacation? If so, there are many modes of transportation available for the trip from Calgary or the Calgary Airport to Mount Norquay. However, while some transportation options are cheaper than others, bear in mind that taking this trip in the winter means you may encounter harsh weather. Above all, safety and dependability take precedence over price.
Getting to Mount Norquay from Calgary
Mount Norquay is located just 150 km, (or just under 2-hours drive,) west of Calgary International Airport (YYC). However, the roads can be treacherous to drive in winter, especially when there is wind, snow or ice to deal with. This holds true, even for locals.
Taking a traditional ‘cheap’ shuttle or renting a car and driving yourself are not recommended options, for the following important reasons:
- Severe weather in the region can make navigation dangerous for even seasoned drivers who are used to harsh winter climates. Shuttle services often have a high turnover rate and don’t always guarantee spot-free safety records for their drivers. Therefore, you never know whether you are in capable hands when using such a service. In addition, driving one’s own party is also not advised. This is because inclement weather can make the trip especially perilous for those unfamiliar with these roadways. For this reason, your party will be safer with an expert driver at the wheel.
- Shuttles run on a fixed schedule and are available only at certain times of the day. After that, those who wish to take a shuttle may be left waiting until their ride is scheduled to arrive. Not to mention, you will only get picked up and dropped off at designated locations with this bus service.
- Shuttles are shared rides. In other words, your party will likely be seated with strangers. As a result, frequent stops for those boarding and disembarking the vehicle may cause unwanted delays in reaching your destination. To utilize such services, you must adhere to their schedule.
Given the above, it is highly recommended that those traveling from Calgary Airport to Mount Norquay hire a private transportation service that works for your schedule and for the number of people in your party.
Why Hire Private Transportation?
Though the cost may be slightly higher, this is considered the optimal choice to ensure safe, convenient transportation for you and your passengers. This is because:
- Private transportation services provide a secure and reliable travel experience for their passengers. Their business depends on it. These companies invest a lot of time as well as money to properly maintain their fleet of vehicles for safety, comfort, and cleanliness.
- Private services provide experienced chauffeurs who are thoroughly background-checked and specially trained to navigate icy roads and other obstacles in harsh winter conditions. They are intimately familiar with the routes between Calgary and Banff; having traveled to and from these locations consistently hundreds of times. This means that your group is in the safest hands possible, regardless of the current weather.
- Private sedan, SUV, party bus, or mini-bus shuttle services operate according to YOUR schedule. Your ride arrives and departs when you request it, and the vehicle rental is never shared with strangers; ensuring no additional stops are made unless you request them.
When it comes to dependable, safe, and on-demand transportation from Calgary Airport to Mount Norquay, the price is only as good as the service. In other words, the ‘cheapest’ is hardly worth the savings if it means compromising security and reliability.
How much does it cost to get from the Calgary Airport to Mount Norquay?
AM PM Limo is a family-owned transportation service who has been serving Alberta travelers since 2010. Private sedan, SUV, party bus, or mini-bus shuttle prices from Calgary Airport to Mount Norquay vary from one service provider to another. However, our pricing represents area standards, not to mention lower in most cases, for such rentals:
Chauffeured luxury vehicle suited for smaller groups of 2-4 passengers.
Spacious yet elegant, and great for tours & excursions. Ideal for groups of 4-6 passengers.
Spacious interior, luggage space and ease of boarding/exiting the vehicle. This is the ideal transportation for 10-13 passengers.
Ample space for up to 24 passengers to ride in comfort, including extra luggage room at the rear and in overhead bins.
The first of its kind in Alberta! A Dodge Ram pick-up stretched to limousine proportions, with the half-ton rear-end enclosed for storage space. The roomy vehicle interior comfortably accommodates up to 16 passengers.
The ultimate mode of transportation for groups of 18-30 passengers. Custom lighting effects, state-of-the-art sound system and plenty of room for moving around in the interior. This ride is truly as extraordinary as the destination.
Planning your visit to Mount Norquay in winter
Mount Norquay Mountain & Ski Resort is one of three major ski resorts located in Banff National Park. The resort is just a 13-minute north of the world-renowned town of Banff, and 30 minutes from Canmore.
The regular ski season starts in early December and ends in mid-April. Activities at the resort include skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, and snowshoeing – ideal for adventure-seekers of all ages and abilities.
Mount Norquay weather can vary widely, so be prepared for anything and check the weather forecast. It can get very windy on top!
Ski and snowboard lessons are provided by resident experts. They are experienced in teaching all ages, including young children, how to ski so this is a very family-friendly mountain resort.
The chairlift – especially the one up to the Cliff House Bistro provides one of the best views of Banff and the surrounding area. It’s a not to be missed experience when you visit Mount Norquay.
A winter view from just below the Cliffhouse Bistro at Mount Norquay
When you’ve worked up an appetite head to Cascade Lodge or Lone Pine Pub, a full service après venue on the hill. No-skiers will even enjoy the views – and watching all the action on the hill from the marvelous floor to ceiling windows.
For more information on lift tickets, lessons and activities, visit the Mount Norquay website.
Early season skiing at Mount Norquay
Where to stay that is close to Mount Norquay?
There is no slope side accommodation at Mount Norquay, but there are over 100 options in Banff – so there is something to fit every budget.
The closest hotel is the Juniper Hotel & Bistro, just off the Trans-Canada Highway. Not only is it a great choice for the night, but it offers an outdoor firepit with first-class views and excellent food.
In Banff itself there are so many great choices from the classy Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel to The Rimrock Resort with its excellent dining room and stellar views to the lovely Moose Hotel, just a few minute’s walk from downtown Banff. The Canalta Hotel is a great choice if you’re traveling as a family and the kids like bunkbeds. Or choose the Fox Hotel & Suites for its Cave and Basin themed hot pool.
Firepit with a view at the Juniper Hotel & Bistro
Mount Norquay in summer
Visit Mount Norquay in summer if you would enjoy one of the best views of Banff either from the chairlift or by doing the Via Ferrata at Mount Norquay.
The Via Ferrata is a super fun way to explore the Mount Norquay area – and one that might give you the odd adrenaline jolt. There are four different experiences that last anywhere between 2.5 hours to 6 hours. Climb ladders, cross suspension bridges and scale cliffs – all while safely tied in. For more information check out the Mount Norquay website.
Crossing a suspension bridge as part of the Via Ferrata experience
If you’re not into climbing cliffs, you’re sure to enjoy the scenic chairlift ride up to the Cliffhouse Bistro where you can enjoy a drink or meal with a view.
Enjoy a meal or drink with a view at the Cliffhouse Bistro
How to book transportation from Calgary to Mount Norquay Ski Resort
AM PM provides first-class yet affordable transportation between Calgary and Mount Norquay. In addition, we provide service throughout the entirety of Alberta.
In addition, here’s what’s included when you hire a luxury sedan, SUV, party bus, or mini-bus shuttle from AM PM:
- Safe, reliable transportation to and from Mount Norquay Ski Resort
- Accommodation for any sized group and ski equipment
- We will wait and meet you if your flight is delayed due to bad weather
- Short-notice bookings are available as needed
- Courtesy airport meet & greet for domestic or international arrivals
- We will accommodate late arrivals & early departures according to your flight schedule
- Reservations are flexible to account for inclement weather
- Experienced professional drivers with impeccable safety records
Our courteous and knowledgeable reservation specialists are happy to answer any questions you may have, at any time of day or night.
We invite you to call us 24/7 with any questions you may have or to book your private transportation from Calgary to Banff/Mount Norquay: 403-475-5555